- The North American Industry Classification System (aka NAICS) is the standard used by Federal statistical agencies in classifying business establishments for the purpose of collecting, analyzing, and publishing statistical data related to the U.S. business economy. NAICS codes are used on both HIePRO and HANDS.
- NAICS uses a six digit coding system that describes a particular product or service a company supplies. There are twenty industry sectors. Five sectors are goods-producing sectors and fifteen are services-producing sectors.
- Each digit in the code is part of a series of progressively narrower categories, and the more digits in the code signify greater classification detail. The first two digits designate the economic sector, the third digit designates the sub-sector, the fourth digit designates the industry group, the fifth digit designates the NAICS industry, and the sixth digit designates the national industry.
- To view a complete list of 2022 NAICS Sector codes and titles, go to "Reference Files" and select "Downloadable Files." You can download an Excel file of either the complete NAICS code hierarchy, ranging from broad 2-digit Sector codes to specific 6-digit U.S. Industry codes, or you can download a list of just the 6-digit U.S. Industry codes.
- You can use the search feature to determine the correct NAICS code to use. Enter a keyword that describes the type of business. A list of primary business activities containing that keyword and the corresponding NAICS codes will appear. Choose the one that most closely corresponds to your primary business activity, or refine your search to obtain other choices.
- Agency buyers are encouraged to assign multiple NAICS codes to a solicitation to help connect with vendors but also for statistical data on the solicitations that are most common.
- To learn how to add NAICS codes to a solicitation in HIePRO go to the 'For Buyers' section of the help videos page and watch the HIePRO Solicitations video.
- To learn how to add NAICS codes to a solicitation in HANDS, login to HANDS, go to the 'For Buyers' section of the help videos, and watch the Solicitation Notices video.
- Begin your NAICS code search today at census.gov/naics